Problem installing latest October CMS

Hi. Is there a problem with the latest install package? We are getting error when trying to fresh install on a server where we installed the CMS with no problems 1 week ago.

The errors are like this:
At first is says: https://snipboard.io/ONtgu6.jpg
And after this if press the Try Again button it throws: https://snipboard.io/3inLya.jpg

Any hint or help is greatly apreciated because we can’t do our work and we depend on it.

This could be from a big composer package trying to install and php timing out.

If possible increase the php timeout setting in your php.ini file.

I tested during yesterday the modification of the php limits, and this does not help because they are already very permissive.
It seems that October CMS, at least during installation, cannot run on the alt-php versions, only on the default ones from apache ea-php, from what I managed to find, it seems to be due to static paths, but here I cannot say exactly.

In short, the solution is to set from Cpanel → MultiPHP Manager → PHP 8.1 (ea-php81), and on this version the installer works completely, I tested it on a test subdomain.
If it is a folder, it is necessary to manually create the .htaccess folder and enter in it before running the installer:

# php -- BEGIN cPanel-generated handler, do not edit
# Set the “ea-php81” package as the default “PHP” programming language.
<IfModule mime_module>
  AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php81 .php .php8 .phtml
</IfModule>
# php -- END cPanel-generated handler, do not edit

And possibly check with <?php phpinfo(); ?> if the version of ea-php is taken correctly before running the installation.

What php version causes the issue?

We had tried with 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 with no luck.

Hi @daft, I can confirm this - and the cause will be probably the same as in my previous post.

Here is the web installer’s install.log.

I’ve tested both upgrading to patch 30 and installing via the web installer. It updates and installs successfully…

This error is sometimes observed when composer updates itself, you may notice the installer/updater will say “Updating package manager…” first. This process is designed to ensure composer doesn’t have any missing files (like in the error below).

file_get_contents(/Users/janvince/Websites/october3/vendor/composer/composer/src/Composer/Repository/../InstalledVersions.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory

I upgraded from version 3.6.29 to 3.6.30 using the web installer and it worked successfully.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming, @apinard

Now I am wondering if symfony rolled something back?

Hi all! I am using OctoberCMS for a very long time now and was about to setup a new site on a similar environment (Wizard Installation). Unfortunately I am running into the exact same error and have now idea how to fix it or where it comes from.
I am using a hosting provider where I can select different PHP Versions, but all options (8 / 8.1 / 8.2 / 8.3) did not work and the installation files with the same errors.

Does anybody have any ideas or hints on how we can fix this?

Thanks for your support!

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this @viv

It isn’t easy since not everyone can reproduce it here, including our developers.

However, I see a potential problem in @jan-vince 's install log. The composer update (updating package manager…) does not succeed. This step is necessary for preventing the observed error.

[2024/09/16 07:58:45] Install step: composerUpdate
[2024/09/16 07:58:45] Updating package manager...
[2024/09/16 07:58:47] Step composerUpdate +OK
[2024/09/16 07:58:47] Execute handler [onInstallStep]
[2024/09/16 07:58:47] Array
(
    [result] => 
)

For some reason, the output buffer is left empty. This can occur if the process ran out of memory or timed out, so it is worth checking these parameters on your server, along with the web server event logs.

It is important to note that these requirements grow larger as time goes on, since the installer versions become more distant from the latest versions (there becomes more work to do in updating them). However, perhaps why we are only seeing this intermittently is that the composer cache improves the performance and overcomes the issue.

Hi @daft ,

thanks for getting back to us. The solution to manually add the missing polyfill-php72 folder/files provided by @jan-vince in this post fixes this error during installation, too. Everything works now.

Thanks for your help to all of you.

2 Likes

Great, glad you got it solved @viv

We were finally able to replicate this by testing every PHP version in Docker. It only seemed to affect php 8.2 and was introduced by a symfony package which delivers different files for this version. The october/rain v3.6.30 package contains a patch to address it.

Hopefully, the issue should be resolved now, without needing the workaround!

Hi all. The problem is also on php alt-php83 . Yesterday we tryed to update one website from 3.6.2.6 to 3.6.3.0 and the entyre webiste crashed with Error 500. We rolled back from the server backup to put it back online and we will not try this update again until this problem is 100% clear and solved. Somethings wrong with Simfony and composer…

Thanks.

Hey @web22

I’m sorry to hear that this is still an issue. This might be a race condition, where the unpatched code still exists in memory during the update.

The following patch can be manually applied to ensure the patched files are available:

I have also included a zip file that you can upload to the website that will patch the files as well.

Best regards

Thanks @daft for you quick reply. We will backup the DB and files to be sure we have the actual website hassle free and we will try to aply the fix.

I Will come back after the process to let you know about the result. All the best.

Hi,

Had the same problem updating from 3.6.30 (PHP 8.3.6, Composer 2.4.1) using the administration area. The website wouldn’t run anymore complaining about the missing october3\vendor\composer/../symfony/polyfill-php72/bootstrap.php.

I updated Composer to its latest stable version (2.8.1) with composer self-update.
When I ran php artisan october:update from the command line (as the site was dead), it updated properly to 3.7.1. Now I don’t know if the fix came from the Composer update or from the minor fix from 3.7.0 to 3.7.1 which I think appeared right as I was reading this post, but it worked!

I’ll test it again in my preproduction environment to see how it goes but at least I have a way through!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

i got this when i tried to update via php artisan october:update

The following commands should fix it (this is the same as october:update):

composer update
php artisan october:migrate
php artisan october:util set build