Dynamically switching tables for model

Hi all,

I’m trying to make my SiteContact model use different database tables depending on the associated Site. Each Site has its own contacts table (e.g., abc_contacts, xyz_contacts).

My goal is to display a list of all contacts within a specific Site’s table using a relation. I’ve tried event binding, scopes, etc., but my model keeps using the default ‘site_contacts’ table.

Site::extend(function ($model) {
    $model->bindEvent('model.afterFetch', function () use ($model) {
        if ($model->contacts) {
            $model->contacts['table'] =  $model->code . '_contacts';
        }
    });
});
SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'site_contacts.site_id' in 'where clause' (Connection: mysql, SQL: select * from `q4balb3w_contacts` where `site_contacts`.`site_id` = 3 and `site_contacts`.`site_id` is not null)

So based on the error message, it appears filtering by ‘site_id’ is causing the problem. Is it possible to disable it?

Has anyone done this before? Any tips or solutions would be amazing!

I’m not 100% sure what you mean, the example code is a touch confusing - it mentions SiteContact but extends Site… However, based on your description, something like this?

SiteContact::extend(function($model) {
    $model->setTable(\Site::getSiteCodeFromContext() . '_contacts');
});

Hey, thanks for the quick response. To simplify matters, I want to create a hasMany relationship on the Site model where I dynamically define the table, and the key is not necessary because each table is unique.

Something like this:

public $hasMany = [
    'contacts' => [
        SiteContact::class,
        'table' => 'abcreate_almalio_' . $this->code . '_contacts',
    ],
];

Is it possible?

I think you might have to bypass standard relationship where the keys are used.

Maybe you can create a function that will mimic relationship, like:

<?php

use Illuminate\Support\Collection;
use Illuminate\Support\Facades\DB;

class Site extends Model
{

public function contacts(): Collection
    {
        // Assuming the table name is dynamically determined based on $this->tablePrefix
        $tableName = $this->tablePrefix . '_contacts';

// Retrieve contacts directly from the database without using keys
        // Adjust this query according to your database structure
        return DB::table($tableName)->get();
    }
}

This is one of the solutions I tried. I also tried Laravel relationships and custom relationships in the HasRelationship trait. These solutions are fine, but i want to display list of contacts under Site model as relationship in administration and that’s the main problem.

And creating a new table “author_plugin_sites_contacts” is not a solution (and creating author_plugin_contacts)?

if your table q4balb3w_contacts are for site_id = 3, you could transfer them into the new tables.

Of course, a many-to-many relationship between Site and SiteContact would be great (actually, I am using it right now), but there are some legal issues for my case, and I need to change it so that every site has a separate table for contacts.

Hey @Webess

Try using the model.afterRelation event, this is called when a relation instance is created.

\System\Models\SiteDefinition::extend(function($model) {
    $model->hasMany['contacts'] = SiteContact::class;

$model->bindEvent('model.afterRelation', function($name, $related) use ($model) {
        if ($name === 'contacts') {
            $related->setTable("abcreate_almalio_{$model->code}_contacts");
        }
    });
});

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thanks @daft, this is exactly what I needed.