October composer builder

Hi all!

Often when working with October, you have to assemble different build options from it. Including manipulating modules and the list of plugins. No less often, in the development of, for example, API services in October, where neither front nor Tailor is used, you have to manually disable and delete modules, not to mention the fact that you also often have to assemble standard sites, for example: Multilingual site. Which requires manipulation after installation.

Based on this experience, I launched a composer-based October build service that allows you to configure or use ready-made builds for installation via composer or using Laravel sail

https://octobuilder.rdl-team.ru

At the moment, this is an alpha version assembled on my knees in a very short time (2 hours in total). In this version, you can select ready-made assemblies for installation with one command, as well as assemble your own versions of the composer and build options for October.

I will be glad to receive feedback and suggestions.

6 Likes

Hey @LeMaX10

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing it

There will be updates in the next release:

1. Ability to download the patched official web installer for installation via a browser.
  2. Switch laravel version 9/10 for assembly
  3. Correction of the final October bug for assemblies without Taylor.
2 Likes

Release 1.2.0:

1. Ability to download a patched web installer for installation via a browser.
  2. Optimization of the build and patcher scripts.
  3. Fixed October installation error with missing Taylor module.
  4. Select Laravel 9 or 10 version.
  5. Protection against duplicate configurations has been implemented

Snapshots:

• Added ready-made configuration OctoberCMS API Edition - modules cms and editor are disabled in this version

TODO for the next release:

1. If the cms module is missing, delete the themes directory
  2. If the tailor module is missing, delete the app directory

P.S> Duplicate configurations have been cleared and the remaining configurations have been migrated.
P.S.S> In just a couple of days, almost 500 configurations were generated by users, of which 200 were used for their intended purpose :partying_face::tada::tada::tada:

2 Likes

Service moved to new domain - https://octoberbuilder.com

Hey @LeMaX10

This is an excellent service and will be helpful to the October CMS ecosystem. You should continue to develop and support it since it will help others. It is a good showcase of the power and modularity that developers get when using October CMS.

It will be beneficial when October CMS v4 is released since it introduces two new modules: user and shop. Notably, both of these modules are optional to install.

Thank you for building and sharing this!

2 Likes

@daft a little bit out of subject: is the shop module still planned to be available in the beginning of 2024?!

We are working very hard to make it happen for Q1 2024, yes.

5 Likes

@daft At the moment I am preparing a very large update of the builder with many interesting features: Personal account, tweaks, personal configurations. We receive feedback and errors from users. I try to edit them quickly, but I had to screw up one.

The essence of the error:
When installing the system without the Tailor module, but with demo theme, we get the BlueprintIndexer error.

A little analysis:
We discovered that the blueprint indexer of the Tailor module is called in the system module in migrations, in the cms module in seeds. What does it mean that the Tailor module is a kind of octopus that has thrown its tentacles into the other modules that can exist and work without it.

Implementation:
This approach causes a violation of responsibility and dependency between modules (Tailor, System, CMS), given that the Tailor module necessarily requires the presence of a system module for its operation, while the system module and cms module can easily survive without the Tailor module, given its area of ​​responsibility. Is there an option to remove calls from other modules to objects that are their direct responsibility in order to solve the dependency violation in october core?

P.S>> I writed long letter to hello@octobercms.com from another question, received it?