The New Google Analytics Plugin

Hello friends,

If you are using Google Analytics / Universal Analytics, there is a message from Google:

Your Google Analytics account needs immediate attention. Our next-generation measurement solution, Google Analytics 4, is replacing Universal Analytics. On 1 July 2023, standard Universal Analytics properties will stop processing new data. This means that any Universal Analytics data that you’re using in Google Ads campaigns will start to degrade and your ad performance may be impacted. We strongly recommend that you follow our step-by-step guide to make the switch to Google Analytics 4 as soon as possible.

The new official Google Analytics plugin makes it easy, it has been updated to support GA4. Release note here:

This upgrade does not happen automatically because it contains breaking changes. When you are ready to upgrade, open your composer.json file and change the version the 1.3 to 2.0 and perform a system update. For example:

"rainlab/googleanalytics-plugin": "^2.0"

Then run composer update or:

php artisan october:update

Enjoy!

7 Likes

@daft can you confirm something for me please.

Looking at the screenshot below, it says that October v3 is required for GA4, and that it doesn’t support UA.

Then it says to use v1.3 of the plugin if you’re using October 1 or 2. However, in the sidebar, it says that v2 is compatible with version 1.1 of the plugin.

So my question is, does v1.3 work with October v2 and does it have GA4 tracking working with it?

Hey @neil-impelling

I think it is more a case that we haven’t tested this in v2. Composer will still let you install v2 of the plugin when using OC v2. Give it a try, and we can update the platform compatibility or patch it if necessary.

I have updated the Platform Compatibility to show 1.3 to align with the readme. Unsure why it was set to 1.1 and 1.0.